Saturday, January 28, 2023

So much violence

 There is so much violence in America. There is so much violence in the world. I try to understand. I try to be understanding. I’m not doing it very well. 

Tyre Nichols, 29 year old black man, was beaten to death after a “traffic stop” by five black cops. He was defenseless. He was not a threat. The officers are charged with second degree murder. How to understand this?  

Maybe it is about the thrill of being dominant. The bully, who is afraid of being weak, feels strong when they crush the spirit of another. 

Maybe it’s a group dynamic where the madness of violence escalates as each feels compelled to escalate the violence. 

Maybe it’s just sadistic sexual pleasure in inflicting pain. 

Maybe it’s men in pain wanting others to feel pain just like they do. 

Maybe it’s hypermasculine “tough guy” compulsion needing to prove something - to others - to themselves. 

The video was terrible. Human atrocities are hard to bear. 

There is a cult of violence in the country, in the world, and certainly in police departments. This one can’t be blamed on racism. This is endemic to police culture.  

If I were a police officer I would be enraged that my good name is being destroyed by sadists in the profession  I would want a meaningful purge of the deranged next to me.

It just goes on and on