Friday, April 28, 2023

The Putin Wing of the Republican Party is trying to destroy the American dollar

It is possible to believe that the Republican Party is trying very hard to blackmail the Democratic Administration with a promise to refuse to pay America's debts because they are dedicated to an ideology that says two things - lowering the cost of government spurs the economy, and reducing the dependency of the poor and middle class on government help makes them stronger.  But I don't believe that - anymore.  In my Republican days I did, but it seems nonsense to me now.

Rather, it seems to me, that the blackmail is coming from the Putin Wing of the Republican Party - and the purpose is to destroy the American economy, destroy American credit around the world, and remove the American dollar as the world currency.  

I understand Putin's desire to destroy America, it is what he has been doing all of his life.  

It is harder for me to understand the Putin Wing of the Republican Party. They openly admire the murderous autocrat, they support the Putin invasion of Ukraine, and they seem dedicated to defaulting on American debt - i.e. dedicated to stop paying America's bills.  (Actually, about 25% of the national debt came from Trump's four-year reign of incompetence)  And, of course, the Republicans never threatened default during the presidency of Trump - nor of any Republican president. 

And, of course, they threaten default every year for every Democratic president.  Mostly, in the past, this was simply to do what they love the most to do - cut spending on the middle class, and on poor people (read that as black and brown and red people).

But this year seems different to me.  This year has people in Congress even more extreme than the cut-the-cost-of-caring-about-people-Tea Party.  Congress now has active Putin supporters.  And I am starting to believe they are following orders from Russia.  I don't trust that they are operating in good faith.  I am starting to believe that bribery and/or blackmail is involved.  Or, perhaps, it is simply the admiration of a fellow traveler autocrat by wannabe autocrats.  But my bet is obedience to their master.

The way this year seems different to me is that I don't think it is possible for the Putin controlled House of Representatives to agree on a budget, and I think they will default on the debt - on purpose - and shut the Federal Government down.  They seem to be trying to harm America as part of their plan to establish an authoritarian, autocratic, fascist rule that will or won't be led by Trump.  If not Trump, there are more in the wings of the Republican Party ready to dominate.  

Autocrats of a feather flock together.

But this is still America.  And I refuse to believe that it will fall to fascists.