Friday, September 7, 2012

What was it that Obama said? Or Romney?


I guess it is no surprise that President Obama’s speech last night wasn’t as good as  Bill Clinton’s the night before, but I think I was surprised by how far it fell short.

After Clinton spoke, I thought that the election might be over.  He laid out the case for Obama and the Democratic Party in remarkably clear, immediate, and visceral language.  He handed the election to Obama on a platter. 

And the president said… what did he say again?  I really don’t much remember.  I think the faithful were excited because they are excited anyhow and love the president and are afraid of the Republicans.  But…

The president’s speech seemed to be mostly platitudes, generalities, a kind of collection of presidential ad-moments jammed into one speech.  There was a mention of citizenship, and his job is really tough, and it’s going to take a long time, and we can all make a better future, but…

What is his plan?  What is he going to do?  Where is he going?  Other than he really likes government, and loves his family, and cares about our future.  I was not moved.  I was not persuaded.  As opposed to being both moved and persuaded by Clinton the night before.

So, now it’s on to the debates.  But after watching the meaningless focus-grouped, poll tested platitudes that each candidate spewed out in their acceptance speeches, I am not very hopeful that I’ll see much in the way of substance in the debates either.  It’s like both candidates seem to think that all they have to say is “I’m not that guy.”

Where’s the beef?