Thursday, August 18, 2022

Autocratic minority domination

 The white Christian nationalists are dedicated to the overthrow of democracy in America.  This is serious. They know they are in the minority so they are desperately trying to establish minority autocratic rule.  I think they literally saw Trump as a godsend to be used to accelerate their autocracy.  (By the way, the history of political leaders installing and thinking they can control pathological dictators is not a happy one)  Heather Cox Richardson wrote today:

Edward Luce of the Financial Times observed today: “I’ve covered extremism and violent ideologies around the world over my career. Have never come across a political force more nihilistic, dangerous & contemptible than today’s Republicans. Nothing close.”

Shocking though that observation was, it was nothing compared to what came next. General Michael Hayden, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency under presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, retweeted Luce and commented: “I agree. And I was the CIA Director[.]”

I can feel some sympathy for a fading hierarchy desperate to cling to and extend their domination, but the world is turning, time passes, and it all changes. I believe democracy can and will prevail, but only if we are awake to the attempt at autocratic domination. And we say no.