Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Republican slog continues

Well, Romney continues to slog his way to the nomination.  My only hope is that he doesn't mean most of the right wing extremist things that he says, and he is just posturing to get the nomination.  But that brings to mind one of my favorite quotations from Mark Twain:


Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain


I think Romney is in the first category, and I fear that Santorum is in the second.  


In truth, I think that Romney is a pragmatic problem solver without a deep sense of ideology, and that he would probably be a pretty good president.  But, he certainly inspires no one, and remains the "Other Guy" to Obama - pretty well an undefined character that the country could turn to if they decide that Obama has messed up too much. But, I really don't think Santorum would be a good president, and the country is not about to elect someone from the evangelical Christian camp (even though he is an extremist Catholic rather than an evangelical, his appeal seems to be the absolutism of the religious zealot)


I think Obama's main challenge is to keep from becoming overconfident.  Unless, of course, the world blows up in some way between now and November.  I think prayers for a stable, slowly improving world are in order.