Sunday, October 6, 2024

Why fascism?

 I think that people who feel powerless want to feel powerful so what they do as they look for someone who looks powerful to them, that is to say look for someone who scares people and they align themselves with that person. I think that explains Mussolini and Hitler and Franco. And I think it explains Orban and Le Pen and Trump today. 

Why? It’s fear. Fear of Other. Fear of different. Things seem out of control. They want to beat things back into orderly control. Is this correct? No - things are just different. And different scares them. 

So you get the rise of “Strong Men”. They support those that threaten and do violence. It makes those who feel powerless feel protected and feel safe. 

It’s a false belief. The “Strong Men” are all the same character - it’s all about me me me me me me me me.  And $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And power domination domination domination.  

It has nothing to do with the country they dominate, or the people who worship them, or who fight them, or who fear them… the people and the country are just supporting players to the authoritarian’s bottomless need for obedience and submission. 

They are sick puppies.  They are very needy little people. We see in The Former Guy how much he craves and needs adulation. Because he has no internal pillars of self esteem. So they remove the Rule of Law, and remove democracy, and all constraints on their bottomless needs. Of course. It’s who they are. 

And the frightened follow them down the autocratic rabbit hole.